Many of our work cannot do without Microsoft Office. Microsoft Excel 2003 is commonly-used to record data. For security’s sake of data, it is necessary to encrypt an excel spreadsheet. So that anyone who accesses the document must enter the correct password. Then how to set a password to protect a Microsoft Excel 2003 spreadsheet? The method is easy as below.
1. Open your workbook in Microsoft Excel 2003. On the menu bar of the file window, click "Tools" to open the drop-down list then select "Options".
2. The Options window is open as below. Type a password to encrypt the excel document in the Password to open text. Type a password to protect the privilege to modify in the Password to modify text.
Important: Typing a password in the Password to open text means that you will set a password to protect the excel document's access permission. Typing a password in the Password to modify text means that you are setting a password to protect the modifying privilege. Anyone who has no the password to modify can read-only the document, but he cannot modify the document.
In addtion: If you want to select an advanced encryption type, click "Advanced…". In the following window, select an encryption type in the list. Then click "OK".
Finally click "OK"
3. In the confirming dialog box, type your password to open to confirm. Then click "OK". Type your password to modify. Click "OK".
4. On the menu bar, click "File" to open the drop-down list. Select "Save".
5. On the "Save As" window type a name for this excel document then click "Save".
You can encrypt a Microsoft Excel 2003 document with the way above. After setting a password for the excel document, each time the excel document is open, it will be protected by the following dialog box. Anyone who wants to open and modify the excel document must enter the correct password in the password text.